Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 17, 2010

Bradstreet vs Rowlandson!!!

Anne Bradstreet and Mary Rowlandson are women who have suffered hard. These women have been put through some tough tasks in their lives, but still found courage to fulfill their commitment to the lord. They have painted a picture of their troubles whether it is through poetry and or narrative form. Both expressed their feelings and emotions in vivid detail. Even through hard times these women still found their faith, and praised it in the new world.
                When reading Anne Bradstreet’s’’ Here Follows Some Verses upon the Burning of Our House, July 10th, 1666 ‘’ I felt she wrote that at first she was troubled deeply by this tragedy, and that she lost hope. I would understand why she would feel this way. That being that she always been faithful, then out of nowhere this strikes upon her.  But I feel that her faith in her lord was unshaken even when her home burnt to the ground.  Bradstreet, I think took it as a sign or a prophecy of good will, as seen in this passage.
                ‘’   By Him who hath enough to do.
 A price so vast is unknown yet by His gift is made thine own;
There’s wealth enough, I need no more,
 Farewell, my pelf, farewell my store
The world no longer let me love,
My hope and treasure lies above.’’ (Bradstreet 213)
                I interpreted this passage as her way of saying. I need not need material things. All I need is my lord and savior.
                Mary Rowlandson was in a different predicament, but also holds her faith in her time of need. Rowlandson, finds herself captive in her narrative ‘’ A Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson.’’ Though captured, Mary quotes several bible quotes in her narrative, while also describing horrible scenes of violence and gory times. Mrs. Rowlandson was put in a very traumatic situation. But like Bradstreet, she kept her faith and thought it was god’s destiny for her to be alive to tell her story.
               

2 comments:

  1. I really liked both of these authors. I agree with your interpretation, too. Both of them whole-heartedly surrender themselves to the Lord's Will, wether it be during the trials or afterwards. They wanted to give all credit to God as savior. I think it's really neat that their writings are ultimately made to give a message of God's love and commpassion brought out through suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite line from Bradstreet's poem was The world no longer let me love,My hope and treasure lies above". I definitely agree with you that it was her way of saying that she doesn't need material items in the world, but God. Both of these women really did grow through their suffering and are great inspirations for keeping their faith.

    ReplyDelete